StarDodgeBall
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recent Balance Changes (Archon/DT/Muta/Zealot)

2 posters

Go down

Recent Balance Changes (Archon/DT/Muta/Zealot) Empty Recent Balance Changes (Archon/DT/Muta/Zealot)

Post  rut Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:16 am

Hey there! So last week I put out patch 2.34 which fixed some bugs and added a whole bunch of balance changes. Here are the balance-related patch notes:
- DT now takes 50% less damage while cloaked
- DT's Smokescreen Range increased from 2 to 2/3/4
- Muta's Clone takes less damage instead of more, from 3x/2x/1x to 1x/0.5x/0x
- Muta's Clone cooldown decreased from 30/20/10 to 20/15/10
- Muta's Scourge Ball cooldown decreased from 30 seconds to 24
- Zealot's Knuckleball cooldown decreased from 20/15/10 to 15/7.5/0
- Archon's Shock Cooldown decreased from 18/14/10 to 16/12/8
- Archon's Shock damage increased from 0/4/8 to 4/6/8
- Archon's Power Warp dodgeball-flinging range increased from 4/5.5/7 to 5/6.5/8
- Forcefields last 4 seconds, down from 5
- Stalker's Blink Range decreased from 5/6/7 to 4/5/6
What I did was I made up a "tier list" based on my own experiences and my interactions with other people and buffed the bottom-most tier. The DT, Archon, Muta, and Zealot fell into the bottom tier so I gave them all buffs in ways that I felt would make them more entertaining.

The Archon always felt super weak to me in the first round so I gave its offensive ability a small bit of base damage and decreased the cooldown.

The Muta dies so very easily, I decided to buff Clone significantly (the reward for double-upgrading it is invincible clones!). I also reduced the cooldown for Scourgeball because I found myself, primarily in the first round, almost never being able to cast the ability twice before dieing. And I think that considering its awful defense, it needed a little buff to its offensive capabilities.

The DT just wasn't getting played much and felt like a clunkier, less effective Ghost, so I buffed it the same way as I buffed the Ghost (damage received -50% while cloaked). I also think this will create incentive for the player to use the DT's Smokescreen more "strategically." I also upped its Range so that it can more effectively cope with late-game situations and to make it feel less "clunky."

The Zealot was a unit I put into the "bottom tier" of my rankings only because, to me, it feels like the obviously least-effective of the starting 3 all-around units. Its offensive ability isn't as good as the Marine's and its defensive ability isn't as good as the Stalker's (in my opinion). So I decided to buff it by lowering its Knuckleball cooldown drastically--to 0 seconds when fully upgraded! I have no idea how this change will work, but no doubt it gives the Zealot a unique "edge."

I also nerfed the Stalker's Blink slightly and the Sentry's Forcefield, since they seemed to me to be in the highest tier (along with the Reaper). I realize in hindsight that people seem to rarely use Forcefield anyway and Guardian Shield is probably what needs a nerf, but I'm gonna wait on that. Perhaps I'll re-buff Forcefield and then make Guardian Shield slow incoming dodgeballs by a smaller %. I decided not to nerf the Reaper because in my latest experiences I actually haven't seen it be played all that much (not like the Stalker at least, which seems to get picked by everyone!).

Anyways, those are the changes--if you get a chance, try out the recently buffed units and tell me what you think! I'm always open to balance suggestions.

rut
rut
rut
Admin

https://stardodgeball.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Recent Balance Changes (Archon/DT/Muta/Zealot) Empty Re: Recent Balance Changes (Archon/DT/Muta/Zealot)

Post  PierceSc2 Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:47 pm

I love the changes you made because they make the units more interesting and slightly change their roles, but I definitely disagree with your tier list! Most of the ones you put in your bottom tier are actually ones that myself and others would put in the top tier!]

I'll write up my own tier list somewhere and give you explanations!

PierceSc2

Back to top Go down

Recent Balance Changes (Archon/DT/Muta/Zealot) Empty Re: Recent Balance Changes (Archon/DT/Muta/Zealot)

Post  rut Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:12 pm

I'm actually intrigued to see your tier list! I don't sit down and play the game with others as much as I should (laggy internet + I love working in the editor) so I'm super excited to see what you think!
rut
rut
Admin

https://stardodgeball.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum