StarDodgeBall
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roach Stun?

3 posters

Go down

Roach Stun? Empty Roach Stun?

Post  Darkstar Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:33 pm

First of all, i think that already the 15 clicks are kind of ridiculous. Why? Well, it still is longer than any other stun for most of the players. If it's me fighting out of the roach stun, or me actually stunning other players. It's always a HUGE stun timer. Anyways, apart from that i would like to question the way the roach ability works. In my understanding it's a stun you can never avoid. Although it glitches or simply misses in a lot of cases (although DIRECTLY hitting the target as it seems) it still is the most annoying ability in the game since you cannot avoid it at all, and if it hits you and the enemies are not stupid you will die within the stunning time.

I kindly ask you to redesign this ability and make it have a maximum stun duration (some people don't even seem to know that they have to click the button) or change the way the ability hits players. Maybe have it create a visual effect of a burrowed roach moving across the field, and when that effect hits you the roach unburrows and stuns you?

Actually i don't think the roach is overpowered, it's just that this ability seems really unbalanced and coinflippy.

Greets
Darkstar

Darkstar

Back to top Go down

Roach Stun? Empty Re: Roach Stun?

Post  rut Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:50 pm

Thanks for the feedback!

The Roach's offensive ability isn't one of my favorites. I like the concept of having some "interactive" abilities with the mouse-clicking but I agree Hostage is a little...odd.

There is a delay before the ability activates while the helper roach is unburrowing--it's not technically instant. I toyed with the idea of having a longer delay but even a small change makes it almost impossible to connect with the ability. I can work on modifying the hitbox for the helper roach's grab, as it may be too small.

When I came up with the idea, I wanted the stun to take a long time to get out of without help from allies. I think a lot of people don't know (since it's never explicitly stated) that you can make the helper roach let go of its target by stunning it, killing it, or pushing it away from the victim (pushing as in Zealot or Archon's ability). Perhaps I could make this more clear in-game so teammates know how to help.

But you're definitely right that it's very coinflippy--hard to connect with and ridiculously OP when it does.

I'd love to hear suggestions for how we can make this ability a little more fun and user-friendly! Other than minor tweaks with the number of clicks and hitboxes, I'm not sure I have any clear ideas for a new direction for it.

Thanks for your help!
rut
rut
rut
Admin

https://stardodgeball.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Zergling Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:18 pm

I think the roach stun is a cool offensive ability because it involves more team effort, like the Thor. The roach stun is pretty hard to aim as it is, you can't predict someone's moves perfectly in a single spot.

The bad part of it is that there is no range to hinder this. In the beginning of every round the roach can take hostage of someone instantly and that person is toast! I'd suggest to add a 1 second delay from the beginning of the round to prevent this.

Zergling

Back to top Go down

Post  rut Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:32 pm

Hey Zergling, you know I thought about that, either lessening the range of Hostage or making it start with a cooldown of some sort so you can't take advantage of the starting of the round, but I haven't done so yet because it gives the Roach a big advantage that, from what I can tell, it needs. In my own experiences I've seen hardly anyone actually pick the Roach to play. Do you get that same vibe? If people are starting to pick the Roach and dominating by taking advantage of this exploit, I'll certainly change it, but right now I'm seeing it more as an added perk than a game-breaking exploit.

That being said, I am planning on nerfing the Roach's ability by reducing the number of clicks to escape from 15/20/25 to 10/15/20.

rut
rut
rut
Admin

https://stardodgeball.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  PierceSc2 Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:42 pm

I think 5/10/20 would be better tbh. And yeah people have abused the roach stun at beginning of round (only people that really know how to play)

PierceSc2

Back to top Go down

Post  Craiden Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:30 pm

Honestly roach stun is a dumb ability, give the roach something along the lines of a 2s stun with a shorter cd if you really wanna give the roach a stun.

Craiden

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum