StarDodgeBall
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Patch--4 New Units!

3 posters

Go down

New Patch--4 New Units! Empty New Patch--4 New Units!

Post  rut Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:57 pm

Hey everyone! I'm super excited to say that I've just published the latest patch to the NA server that includes 4 additional units: the High Templar, Hydralisk, Archon, and Hellion/Firebat. I'll be publishing to the other regions probably tonight after I make sure there aren't any new bugs with the units.

Anyway, here's a rundown on what they are and my thoughts while making them.

High Templar
Health: 1
Power: 5
Speed: 2
Offensive Ability: Psionic Lob (lobs a dodgeball that creates a psi storm)
Defensive Ability: Phase Shield (drops all enemy dodgeballs, including special dodgeballs, to the ground)
The HT turned out pretty much exactly as I planned, so there's not much for me to add.

Hydralisk
Health: 1
Power: 4
Speed: 3
Offensive Ability: Toxic (fires a projectile that can hit multiple enemies (like EMP). When it hits, the targets will take continuous damage until they're down to 1 Health, at which case their speed will be reduced by 50%. However, when the Hydralisk that casted this ability dies, whoever was poisoned by it will have their poison removed!)
Defensive Ability: Catch (Hydralisk goes into a "catching" animation for 1 second and will catch whatever dodgeball (including special dodgeballs) hits it. There's also a 50% chance that a caught dodgeball will be upgraded to a greatball.)
I'm really excited about the Hydra. The only way to remove the poison if you get hit by it is to kill the Hydra, so it creates a race-against-time situation, which is pushed even further by the fact that the Hydra's Catch ability has a very short cooldown (like Hardened Shields) so a good Hydra can survive a long time.

Archon
Health: 2
Power: 5
Speed: 1
Offensive Ability: Shock (fires a fast projectile that creates an explosion which pushes all units--friend/foe/yourself--outwards)
Defensive Ability: Power Warp (long-range teleport that takes half a second to charge and creates a shockwave which sends idle dodgeballs outwards and is capable of hitting enemies.)
The Archon is actually a little more "experimental" than the others. His offensive ability is more for positioning enemies where you want them but is also effective for pushing allies out of the path of danger or even boosting the Archon towards a target or away from danger. The Power Warp ability is a teleport with infinite range and it does the whole throw-idle-dodgeballs thing that we've had some discussion about. I chose not to give it to a throwable projectile because it was too easy to abuse--the fact that the Archon itself is the "projectile" makes it a little tougher to use, though I've found it still very effective.

Hellion/Firebat
Health: 1/5
Power: 2/2
Speed: 5/1
Offensive Ability: Flame Wall (launches a straight line of fire that inflicts massive damage to enemies that travel over it and lasts 5-10 seconds depending on the upgrade level.)
Offensive Ability: Fireball (In Firebat form it can launch a dodgeball that does splash damage and travels at a 5/7/9 power rating (9 being faster than any possible dodgeball throw).)
Defensive Ability: Transform
I think the Hellion/Firebat is going to be a big hit--it's fun to play and very effective, and it really has two offensive abilities (both very strong) and no real defensive ability. Of course in Firebat form you can tank a lot of hits, but I wouldn't really call that an ability. Also, the Hellion is so fragile that switching back and forth is pretty important overall. I'm happy that to me it doesn't feel like you should stick in Hellion form all the time and then only switch to Firebat form to use his special.

Please give these guys a try and let me know what you think! Obviously balance is going to be an issue right off the bat, so I could definitely use your help in that regard. Also, the Hellion and High Templar don't have biographies, so if you want to write one for me to put in the game, I'd love to hear it!

rut

(On the side, now that I've got those new units done I'll be working on adding "features" like clan tags and new perks.)

Last edited by rut on Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
rut
rut
Admin

https://stardodgeball.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

New Patch--4 New Units! Empty Re: New Patch--4 New Units!

Post  PierceSc2 Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:48 pm

Awesome!! I'll go test out the units now and give you my initial thoughts! Dodgeball forever!

Initial thoughts

High Templar: Awesome! I didn't check but it would be cool if the length of the shield could be increased with levels

Hydra: AWESOMEEEE. I wish the infestor fungal also didn't require a dodgeball , it woould make it really good as well!

HellionHellbat. AWEOAEWSOSMEEMEM: Really really fun to play and not too powerful. Basically its a super offensive unit as a trade for not having a defensive ability. Great unit. Fire wall reduces visibility a bit too much because of the large graphic. If there are a lot of hellions in the game it will look like hell xD~

Archon: I think this unit either needs an HP buff or a skill design rework. HP buff would make it really worth using as a unit that survives easily. You can use your teleport and shockwave to help dodge attacks.
Teleport overlaps a bit with blink and when it sends balls outwards it doesn't really hit anything (especially since you can't aim it) Shockwave doesn't really give you an offensive advantage. The only uses I see are 1. flinging yourself out of harms way and 2. getting to a dodgeball first whne yo uare racing to the center. They don't seem very compelling.

So overall the units are awesome and archon needs a bit of work!

PierceSc2

Back to top Go down

Post  DrPwnji Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:17 pm

Here are my thoughts:

Hydra - I had A LOT of fun with this one. I'm going to need practice with the catch ability, but its great. I feel like the acid could be OP in the later levels.

HT - Also had a lot of fun with this. I think the offensive ability could be OP. Maybe make it so it's a quick burst that does damage and destroys dodgeballs or something.

Hellion/Bat - With this unit, I would immediately use my offensive skill, grab a ball, move into a decent position, transform into the bat, then use my offensive skill. Then I transform into the Hellion again and repeat the process. Later on in the game, the Bat becomes good enough with speed/power upgrades that he doesn't really need that zip. I guess it depends on the unit you're playing against though.

Archon - I don't think I used the defensive ability the whole game other than to test it out. When it comes to a defensive ability, you generally use it when a dodgeball hit is imminent. I really like the offensive ability of knocking people back. Maybe that can be the defensive ability (prevents someone from getting a ball or from throwing it effectively) and the offensive ability can be a psionic blast that launches dodgeballs in the area.

Overall, excellent job. Keep up the good work!

DrPwnji

Back to top Go down

Post  rut Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:01 pm

Just released a small Balance Patch to fix some little issues with the new units. Well, the Archon mostly. Here's the changes:

The Archon's cooldowns for both its abilities have been reduced significantly and its stats have been changed to Health: 4, Power: 4, Speed: 0. I really didn't want to make another unit with 0 speed, but it just didn't feel "Archony" to have such low health. Lowering the cooldowns for both abilities also makes the Archon move around the map much, much faster, so it feels all around a lot better to me.

Also, there was an accidental half-second lag where the Archon couldn't move after using Power Warp, and it's been removed. This makes the Archon handle much better.

I also fixed (hopefully) the bug that gave the Hellion the Firebat's stats if you died in Firebat form.

Let me know what you think!
rut
rut
rut
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  PierceSc2 Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:23 pm

I found a bug with my friend polaris

Hellion/firebat in FFA seems to have unlimited lives for some reason in the last round. I think it s when you swtich back and forth. you might need max lives ot begin with (thats the only wway i tested it because i always have a ton of kills :p)

PierceSc2

Back to top Go down

Post  rut Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:57 pm

Aw, I know exactly what's going on--rookie mistake, I'll get that fixed up ASAP.

Thanks!
rut
rut
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  PierceSc2 Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:00 pm

Also there is a glitch that has been ther for a while, if you pick one unit then switch in the beginning of the game, after your first death you will swtich back.

PierceSc2

Back to top Go down

Post  rut Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:03 pm

Well I released a patch that should fix the Hellion lives glitch, but I've never experienced this other one you're talking about. Could you give me some more detail or perhaps send me a replay at rutegar1122@hotmail.com of it happening?

Thanks!
rut
rut
rut
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  rut Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:17 pm

Released a small patch that allows the Hydra to use its "Catch" ability while holding a dodgeball--it just drops the ball it's holding onto the ground when it starts the ability.
rut
rut
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down