New Unit Idea

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New Unit Idea

Post  Bani on Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:02 am

I also posted this in response to Rut's unit ideas, but I figured it belonged here as well.

Phoenix/Scout:
Health: 1
Power: 3
Speed: 4
Offensive Ability: <Psionic Current> (Just a name I thought of, 100% up for changing) Sends a gust of wind in target direction that carries enemies with it [Not sure if starcraft is capable of this but the mechanic I was thinking of is similar to this ability of Zephyr's from Heroes of Newerth (add youtube dot com here)/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=0Svi5uo_YI8#t=4s - I can't post links because I'm a new member]. The idea would be to send enemies back into your projectile or fork them into being gusted or getting hit or maybe other tactical plays that I haven't thought of. To prevent it from being overpowered, it shouldn't carry them long enough to be able to use it, THEN throw a ball and hit them guaranteed. Instead, it should be an aimed precise line (width of a normal dodgeball) that will give them a quick shove into whatever you want them to go into.
Defensive Ability: <Fly or Updraught?> Unit flies into the air, dodging balls underneath. I'm not sure if this next part would work: Unit also catches any lobbed dodgeballs it comes into contact with while flying. Basically the idea is that the unit flies into the air with basically the exact same duration/height/animation as a lobbed dodgeball and it could be used to save a teammate or save yourself from a hit. Also, again, I'm not sure how the mechanics work, but if a ball was thrown while the unit was flying, some interesting plays could happen.

Feel free to take ideas and not the whole package too, I'm open to change!

Bani

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Unit Idea

Post  TurdPile on Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:21 am

I think the defensive ability would be created easier using a viking instead of a unit that already is flying.
You defensive ability is to go from ground to sky.. what better suited for the Viking? when cooldown ends, allow flight for X seconds and have the viking auto-land at the end.

TurdPile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bani on Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:07 pm

Thinking on it now, the viking sounds like a good idea, I originally thought of scout/phoenix because of their speed and the gust ability. The way I think of the defensive ability though is more of a jump in the air than a fly. The viking in vanilla starcraft2 has a long animation for landing and taking off which could be bad because it would be an easy hit during those transitions.

Bani

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TurdPile on Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:19 pm

Bani wrote:Thinking on it now, the viking sounds like a good idea, I originally thought of scout/phoenix because of their speed and the gust ability. The way I think of the defensive ability though is more of a jump in the air than a fly. The viking in vanilla starcraft2 has a long animation for landing and taking off which could be bad because it would be an easy hit during those transitions.

The editor can adjust things like that.

TurdPile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rut on Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:35 pm

I definitely like the idea of switching between flying and ground! I know it's possible to do (Hero Attack does this with almost every flying Hero) but I've never tried it myself. However, I think it'd be a great defensive ability for either a unit capable of flying or the Viking.

As for the offensive ability, it sounds like a damage-dealing ability that also pushes the opponent backwards (I believe the Probe in Hero Attack had an ability just like this one). I'd like to experiment with some unit-moving abilities, but I think we can come up with a little bit more of a unique way to go about it. Maybe something more along the lines of a missile that travels quickly, and upon impact it creates an explosion that pushes enemy units outwards from the detonation point. I know it's not the same, but I like the idea of it being more dodgeable, and also allowing you to send enemy units in any direction.

Thanks for the ideas, please keep sharing!
rut

rut
Admin

View user profile http://stardodgeball.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top